Friday 20 September 2013

Adventures in Photoshop

I may have slightly forgotten this blog existed, but hey-ho, the wind and the rain. Anyway, I've been practicing with using Photoshop. Last year had more of a focus on Illustrator, and before last year, I've never had access to actual Photoshop that I can use however I want.

These are the products of my experimentation.

This first one is inspired by the fact that, for college, I'm doing an animation based on Little Red Riding Hood, and also the fact that I read an awful lot of ghost stories last night. The parts I am most proud of are the Grandmother's dress, which is a combination of two textures which I feel came together to get the perfect feel for the kind of creepiness I was aiming to give her, and Red's face, which I feel turned out very cute. Some things I have a problem with are, firstly, the wolf, because he was supposed to be looking up at the Grandmother and that didn't work, and Red's cape, which I feel I could have used a different fabric texture.

This is art of a character from a poem called "The Highwayman". In the poem, the titular Highwayman is in love with the landlord's black-eyed daughter, Bess. This is a drawing of my interpretation of Bess, whom I'm realising now looks somewhat like Katara from Avatar: The Legend of Aang. Things I think went well in this piece would be Bess's hair, for how the shine turned out, her dress, because I'm very happy with how the texture worked out, and that I got shading under there, and lastly the background, because I like the way the diamond works with the background (Both of them are actually the same image!)

However, what I don't think worked in the picture of Bess is her makeup, especially the blush. It stands out too much, and I'm not sure blush could even achieve that colour on a complexion like Bess'. I also feel I may have made the whites of her eyes a touch too blue, by mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment