Thursday 7 May 2015

My Digital Media Project - Brief 2 Prototype

Brief 2 was the illustration for Donkeyskin, which I posted briefly about before.

Firstly, starting with the scanned image, I did the obvious first step. Flat colours. After that, I added textures to the walls and pillars, to make them look more like stone or marble.


With those parts done, I considered what I wanted to do for the shading. I decided to shade all in shades of brown, to help keep the colours warm, which I hoped would make the dress stand out more, as it's a cooler colour than the rest of the room. To shade I created a layer on top of the colours, but below the lineart, and used the shades of brown to create shadows and highlights where I wanted the light to be shining.


After that, I decreased the opacity...


Which made it look like this:


Then I added the words, a small section of the story of Donkeyskin, that describes what is going on in the illustration.


And finally, I layered two old paper textures on top of the whole piece. However, in doing this, I was bothered by how much the dress didn't pop, underneath all the layers of brown I'd put. I wanted the dress to have the appearance that I was almost glowing. So, I went onto one of the paper texture layers, and erased the texture that covered the gown. I felt that that made the dress pop in a more pleasing way. You can see where I erased if you look closely at the layers.



No comments:

Post a Comment