Monday 21 January 2013

Colouring Thomas

When I was deciding on what sort of colours to give Thomas, I felt that I wanted to look to nature, mainly seasons, for inspiration. This was because Thomas is meant to be a man who doesn't get out much, due to being sickly, but he wishes he could. I chose autumn because it strikes me as being the sickly season, Winter is too dead, but Spring and Summer are too full of life. Autumn falls in the middle perfectly.

We were taught in College how to colour using Illustrator, with layers and the pencil tool. I had much less trouble working it out than the pen tool, and it also gave very nice results.
I plan on Thomas wearing a loose fitting robe on top of this... Onesie for want of a better word, but drawing him without the robe is better for getting a sense of his actual body shape, which will be what is actually moving when he is animated.

No comments:

Post a Comment