Friday 18 January 2013

Week's reflection 18/1/2013

This week, I did some work on drawing my character over monday and tuesday.

I also did an expressions sheet, which will be added presently. I had some problems with consistency, as the drawings kept changing size, and I had trouble drawing straight lines to help keep the proportions consistent. My helper taught me a technique using two rulers (or in our case, a ruler and a straight piece of foam) to make sure the lines are straight, which was extremely helpful.

There were also lessons in how to use Adobe Illustrator, for which I used a random drawing from my own personal sketchbook.
The lineart was done in Adobe Illustrator, though this is not the final lineart. It is, strictly speaking, a draft, as I went back later and changed the owl's tail and a few lines in order to make it look smoother. I'd put too many points in the owl's wings, which made them look bobbly. I had a lot of trouble colouring the lineart in Illustrator, so instead I took the lineart into Photoshop and coloured it there.
A problem I came across was that I couldn't simply fill areas with colour, with the Paint Fill tool, as the lineart had openings where the brush I had been using ended but the line itself intersected with another line. Photoshop couldn't recognise the part of the line that wasn't visible. This also meant that I couldn't select areas with the Magic Wand tool, which meant that I had to be quite careful not to wander over the lines. Sadly, no amount of care will keep it from ever happening.
So I ended up having to go back over with the Eraser tool. I decided, after colouring to go back and fix the lineart, so that it didn't look so bobbly. This is the final lineart:
There had been some small parts that I could in fact colour in Illustrator.

After doing that as practice for lineart in Illustrator, I drew lineart for one of my character's elevations.
(Also, the guy's name is Thomas, which I shall be calling him from here on) I have been finding some difficulty in understanding the Pen tool in Illustrator, but I can't argue with the results. The lines look good so smooth.

I have a few targets for the next week. First of all, to colour my character. Secondly, to create some brushes for Illustrator at home. Lastly, to make a model of my character's head. This ought to be fun

No comments:

Post a Comment